DWP Change of Address: A Quick & Easy Guide

Written by Fraser Stewart
Reading time 2 minutes
DWP Change of Address: A Quick & Easy Guide image

Keeping your address updated with the Department of Work & Pensions (DWP) is crucial. If you are receiving a pension or other benefits, you should inform the Department for Work and Pensions of a new address.

DWP Change of Address: Online Portal

We understand that time is of the essence. The link below directs you to Government Gateway portal, where you can modify your address details. 

To proceed, you'll need your: 

  1. Government Gateway ID
  2. Password

If you're not already registered, you can set up an account during the address update process.

Important: Please ensure you've already relocated before notifying of your address change.

Changing your address through the Government Gateway portal will update your address for:

  1. Income Tax
  2. National Insurance
  3. State Pension
  4. Tax Credits
  5. Child Benefits

Upon signing in, you'll also activate your personal tax account. This platform allows you to review your HMRC records and manage other pertinent details.

Important: This service isn't applicable for:

If this is you, click here instead. 

There you have it—quick and easy, just as promised.

For those seeking a deeper dive, additional details are provided below.

When Should I Notify the Department of Work & Pensions or HMRC of Changes?

It's essential to keep DWP and HMRC updated regarding any changes in circumstances. Reach out if you:

  1. Relocate to a new home.
  2. Have a hospital admission or discharge.
  3. Modify your banking details.
  4. Depart from or return to the UK.
  5. Move into a care facility.
  6. Get married or establish a civil partnership.
  7. Become widowed.
  8. Undergo a gender transition.
  9. Finalise a divorce or end a civil partnerships

Contacting the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP)

A full list of contact details for the different services that fall under the DWP are below:

Service Method Details
The Pension Service By Phone
8am to 6pm, Monday to Friday

Telephone (English): 0800 731 0469

Textphone (English): 0800 731 0464

Telephone (Welsh): 0800 731 0453

Textphone (Welsh): 0800 731 0456

If you cannot hear or speak on the phone - Relay UK: 18011 then 0800 731 0469

British Sign Language (BSL) - Video Relay Service or Use the Service on Mobile or Tablet

By Post You can write to the Pension Service with this address:

The Pension Service
Post Handling Site A
WV98 1AF
Jobcentre Plus Online You can use this link here.
Disability Service Centre By Phone or Post

The contact details for the full list of services provided by the Disability Service Centre are available here.

Media Enquiries By Post For national and local media enquiries, you can write to the DWP's Press Office using this address:

DWP Press Office
Caxton House
Tothill Street
By Phone 0115 965 8828
By E-mail [email protected]
By Social Media Through DWP's Twitter Account - here.
For Policy Enquiries Online Complete the online contact form here.
By Post You can write to the DWP's Ministerial Correspondence Team with this address:

Ministerial Correspondence Team
Caxton House
Tothill Street

Additional Resources

Our features

Powerful features to help you organise your life

Learn More
About us

We are here to make life planning simpler

Learn More